Sunday, March 26, 2017

End of March, 2017

“POOR MARCH
It is the HOMELIEST month of the year. Most of it is MUD, Every Imaginable Form of MUD, and what isn't MUD in March is ugly late-season SNOW falling onto the ground in filthy muddy heaps that look like PILES of DIRTY LAUNDRY.” 
― Vivian SwiftWhen Wanderers Cease to Roam: A Traveler's Journal of Staying Put

Vivian Swift put it very well. March is the ugliest month in zone 6B Massachusetts. It's freezing here and I think the perennials are as fed-up as I am. They are trying their best to break ground but the earth isn't having it.


Tulips have barely broken ground when something has eaten them. 


Pulmonaria

I'm not sure because this is a new plant and I'm terrible at mapping where I put plants, but I think this is a Peony.

The Mountain Mint has been above ground for a while but, wisely, not growing.

Another new plant. It may be a Lily.

Daffodils

Daffodils that budded and then it snowed.

Columbine is breaking ground here and there.
I think I'm obsessed. Someone on FaceBook, who was looking at my garden photos, asked how many different flowers I had....a lot....I have a lot....that's all I'm sayin'! 
This past Autumn, I enlarged to the woodland garden and planted Fritillary, Lilies, Jacob's Ladder and Cyclamen. 
In the big garden, I added Drumsticks, a Karl Rosenfield Peony, Asian Lilies, Canterberry Bells and a red Gaillardia. It's so much fun to see them come up for the first time.
Here's to kicking Old Man Winter in the pants!
Happy Gardening,
Sally

1 comment:

  1. Your March looks likes our February Sally :) I hope that you enjoy your new plantings when spring finally reaches your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete