Friday, June 9, 2017

What's blooming this week.

"To be overcome by the fragrance of flowers is a delectable form of defeat."
Beverly Nichols

Is there anything that smells better than Peonies?? I don't think so....well, maybe Lilacs when Peonies haven't bloomed yet.....
This obsession with Peonies started when I was a child. My mother wasn't one to take care of the yard and we had several Peonies growing on our property edge that never bloomed because of neglect. Up the street from us, an elderly neighbor had the most wonderful Peonies growing close to the road so I could bury my face in them and inhale their wonderfulness. I think the combination of being so close and yet so far away from such beauty left me marked for life! 
There are 6 mature Peony plants in the big garden, This spring, I planted another one and noticed two babies. Eeee....how cool is that! They must have come from seeds....I don't clear the garden until spring.....
This Peony is so beautiful!

Last post, I posted pics of the beautiful white Clematis. This Pink Clematis stands at the opposite end of the garden.

Close-up of a Clematis Flower.

Peonies, Columbine and the old plow

Bearded Iris with some Coreopsis and Catmint in the background

Siberian Iris

More Peonies...I never tire of them!

A visitor to the garden this morning......Spicebush Swallowtail

Forget-me-nots are still blooming!

More Peonies....they go with everything.....old plows, old chairs.....

Canada Mayflower is lasting a long time, as well.

This Columbine went from white to this color.

These Iris smell wonderful

Catmint is so faithful.....it will bloom and bloom and.....

Irises and 3 different colors of Columbine
The woodland phlox is still blooming!

Idgie in the window. She has her very own spot there and on the couch and on the bed and in her bed and on the chair...who am I kidding! Basically, the whole house is hers....we're thr staff



I do carry on about big, showy flowers......Peonies, Hydrangea, Clematis, big Daylilies. They all make my heart skip a beat. Speaking of which, when the Peonies pass, there are  Daylilies and Hydrangeas to moon over. Also, it might be a good idea to get another Clematis that blooms later in the season.....Oh, the best laid plans of gardeners!

Today, I'm grateful for little piece of heaven on earth!

Happy Gardening, Sally

4 comments:

  1. Your little piece of heaven on earth is wonderful! I, too, fell in love with peonies as a child, but only last year did I find a sunny place in my mostly shady garden for a couple of them. No blooms this year! Hopefully, with another year of maturity, they will bloom next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the Peonies, too! Mine are just finished blooming, and I found myself wishing they would bloom all summer. Love the scent, and they're great cut flowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your peonies are so beautiful, Sally!!! I am fascinated by those in the first picture !!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of peonies so much my son Reese, once made me perfume from the petals. I bought him some vodka (he was too young to legally buy liquor) then he put all the petals in and let it steep. It was my Mother's day present. His friends were surprised to see a bottle of vodka sitting in his bedroom and even more shocked when they learned his Mom bought it for him. He would share all the science experiments he did blowing things up. Drinking it was considered a waste of good rocket fuel.
    Jeannie
    GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete