Saturday, July 1, 2017

July 1, 2017

"My life, I realize suddenly, is July. Childhood is June, and old age is August, but here it is, July, and my life, this year, is July inside of July."
Rick Bass

July is here with all it's hoopla and excitement.  For us, it's crazy from the middle of June to the end of July. There are 6 birthdays and Father's Day not to mention the occasional wedding and graduation. It makes me want to run to my garden....of course, everything does! Getting out of bed makes me want to garden.
The flowerbed is at it's peak in early July....so much for the senses to take in!


I love this pale yellow Daylily and meant to move it to a part of the garden that's more visible but, I forgot. There's always this fall.

I was excited to see this rescue Helenium blooming. They are just unique enough to make me fall in love.

Pretty ruffled Daylily

This is a Yarrow called Sneezewort. It has a life of it's own. At one point I thought I had gotten all of it but, it keeps coming back.

I keep posting pictures of this Yarrow....it's a real success story and I love the color.

Isn't that cute? There are several of them around the big garden.

This vignette just happened....the mill wheel and the two urns were from a neighbor who moved, the stove was from the Saver.... 

Lovely Lavender

Crazy Daisy is opening. 

Close-up of Needle-leaf Coreopsis....it's beautiful!

Kent Oregano, a a gift from my friend, Carolin,  is so pretty and different. 

See that bee? It's almost all yellow. I've never seen one like it before.
This picture and the next one I love for the different focus of the camera in each of the shots.

This one has the best color. 
Crazy Daisy again with Campion in  the background.



It was a good morning in the gardens again. I've begun moving Hosta from a small garden that I'm emptying as well as moving things around in the big garden in an attempt to fill in bare areas. The woodchuck ate a lot of the Echinachea and Susans so they are only inches tall and some are getting buds on them. That doesn't help make the garden look full....
This morning, I noticed what I think are Foxglove plants. I've been very disappointed that the Foxglove and Hollyhocks didn't come back this year so it's great news to me that there are some Foxglove growing. About a month ago, I planted Hollyhock seeds. I'm not tending them, let nature take its course.....Both plants are biennials and, hopefully, Nnxt year, quite a few of the Foxglove will bloom......
Today, with July 4th a few days away, I'm grateful for the freedoms we have in the USA.

Happy Gardening and Fourth of July,
Sally

4 comments:

  1. I love your summer flowers and colors, Sally !!
    Thank you for taking a walk through your lovely garden!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Campions are completely finished blooming and yours looks great! Sometimes being further south and ahead in the season, is not all that advantageous.
    Jeannie
    GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Campion blooms a long time here....Do you find it invasive? It spreads like crazy in my garden and everywhere else in the yard! I pull out at least 100 plants every year. I keep it because it adds so much to my garden....I really like it!

      Delete
    2. No, it is not invasive here because there are not many good places for it to grow. Most of my garden is either rocks, rock hard soil, dry shade or more rocks. It does drop seeds, but I let them all sprout. The drought in August usually kills them. Right now they are scraggly but I want them to drop all the seeds they can.
      Mine is between two rocks and deep under a cedar tree. It is a very hostile place.

      Delete